Search This Blog

Reporting Service configuration error : “Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.WMIProviderException: The version does not match a supported version”

I was trying to configure another instance of sql server reporting service yesterday; I already had another instance of SQL Server reporting services running on that server, for testing purpose I was asked to install another instance of SQL Server; The only difference was the existing version was SQL 2008 SP2 and the new installation was SQL server 2008 R2.

I installed the new instance and apply the SP2; then when I try configuring SSRS, i got this error.

Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.WMIProviderException: The version does not match a supported version.

---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040220): Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040220
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.RSWmiAdmin.ThrowOnError(ManagementBaseObject mo)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.RSWmiAdmin.GenerateDatabaseScript(String databaseName, Int32 lcid, Boolean isSharePointIntegrated, String& script)
   at ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.RSReportServerAdmin.GenerateDatabaseScript(String databaseName, Int32 lcid, Boolean isSharePointIntegrated, String& script)

 

So, what did I do wrong; I tried restoring the copy of the other reporting service database and tried configuring, this time I got something else

 

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    SQL Server Reporting Services (TEST)
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    0
Date:        10/29/2012
Time:        2:14:34 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    TUCANA
Description:
Failed to unload app domain DefaultDomain.  The following exception occurred: Error while unloading appdomain. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131015).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Now as anyone else do, I start googling ; found few threads where users are experiencing the same error; and on one of the forums, there was a solution which worked for most of the people; installing SP2, I already had SP2 installed for this instance; I didn't have any other option, so i uninstalled sp2; it was asking for some msi files which it couldn’t find, i skipped them all; after uninstalling sp2, i was able to configure the SSRS on the new instance. Then I installed SP2.

One thing to remember when uninstalling SP2 is that it will stop the shared services like VSS, SQL Browser etc; users may experience some issues while connecting to the server;

1 comment:

Alwin Co Daan said...

This is an amazing blog,it gives very helpful messages to us.Besides that Wisen has established as Best Dot Net Training in Chennai. or learn thru ASP.NET Online Training . Nowadays Dot Net has tons of job opportunities on various vertical industry.